Supporting children's health and wellbeing is nothing new to Essex schools. The national Healthy Schools Programme ran from 1999 to 2011 and over 90% of Essex schools took part.
In 2011, Essex County Council agreed to support schools to continue the good work. They did this by funding and developing Essex Healthy Schools.
Essex Healthy Schools is a health improvement programme. It supports schools to promote health and wellbeing. The programme aims to engage the whole school community.
We aim to achieve this by offering:
- effective support
- links to partners
- a framework enabling self-evaluation, monitoring and celebration
We will post new updates here as they arise. They could include:
- new guidance for schools
- PSHE updates
- upcoming training opportunities
DfE have published the final teacher training module, 'Being Safe':
We have also published the training module on teaching RSHE to pupils with SEND
- Mental Health UK have developed a range of free training for secondary school teaching staff. The training is based on their young people's programme Bloom, which supports the mental health and resilience of 14-18-year-olds
- Every Mind Matters campaign has launched. It offers a new toolkit including a range of self-care vid.eos for young people and support and information for parents and carers.
- Training Opportunity - Free Sexual Health and HIV training for Essex Schools. Terrence Higgins Trust Essex: Professionals Training - 'HIV Today' and 'An Introduction to Sexual Health'. To view and book upcoming training, visit the Event Brite website. For more information or to request a tailored session, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- e-bug - a range of free resources available to support teaching about Covid-19 and hygiene measures
- Young Citizens - free subscription to go-givers resources for all primary schools 2020 to 2021. Includes over one hundred assembly and lesson plans to help teachers deliver PSHE.
Support for Schools
- Essex Child and Family Wellbeing Service - Public Health Campaign Bulletin (link to be provided shortly)
- Childhood Illnesses - NHS guidance on childhood illnesses. This includes vaccinations for schools and nurseries
- Is my child too ill for school? - NHS guide for parents
- Safeguarding in Schools - information relating to safeguarding in schools
- Smoking Cessation - free smoking cessation training. Supporting schools to support students to quit smoking
- Essex Child and Family Wellbeing Service - Healthy Schools Programme - support available for schools
- SHEU Survey - the Schools and Students Health Education Unit. Specialist provider for reliable survey data for schools and colleges
- Ofsted - the Office for Standards in Education, Children's Services and Skills. Responsible for inspecting and regulating services which care for children and young people. Also, those providing education and skills for learners of all ages
Emotional Health and Wellbeing