It is a legal requirement for every Local Authority to convene a SACRE (Standing Advisory Council for Religious Education).
The Essex SACRE meets once a term and is made up of four statutory groups and co-opted members:
- Group A - representing non-Anglican Christian denominations and other religions and religious denominations.
- Group B - representing the Church of England.
- Group C - representing various teachers' associations.
- Group D - representing the Local Authority.
The Local Authority works with SACRE to:
- track and review the provision of RE and collective worship
- consider with SACRE any action that needs to be taken in respect of support offered to schools
SACRE produces an Agreed Syllabus and review this every five years. SACRE also produces advice, particularly on:
- methods of teaching
- the choice of resources
- the provision of training for teachers.
SACRE considers any application from a school for a 'determination' to lift the need for the majority of acts of collective worship in that school to be 'wholly or mainly of a broadly Christian character'.
The current Essex
Agreed Syllabus for religious education 'exploRE' March 2015 remains in place
for the academic year 2020 to 2021 as agreed by SACRE (March 2020).
Preparations for the adoption of a new Local Agreed Syllabus will begin during
2021 with the intention that 2021 to 2022 will be a year of implementation will full
adoption from September 2022.
Continued RE support throughout the Coronavirus crisis
Find primary and secondary teacher support on the following websites: