Our key aim is to support whole-school effectiveness for SEND so that special schools, mainstream schools and specialist enhanced provisions achieve and maintain good or outstanding Ofsted judgements. We aim to ensure that all Essex families have a choice of high quality, successfully inclusive schools for their children to attend whatever their needs may be.
Further details can be found in the SEN Achievement Teams strategic workplan and the team links overview, with other SEN Teams.
We are a commissioning team; providing core advice and guidance to school leaders and then, once support and development needs are accurately established, sourcing appropriate provider solutions.
The team is currently working on the following projects:
- School-Led SEND - There is a clear rationale related to the School Led Improvement System for establishing better practice and performance around SEND across the LA and for this to be schools led rather than LA led. There are already a number of school clusters working collaboratively on significant action research projects to inform the School-Led Improvement System (SLIS).
- Super SENCO - development of innovative approaches to SEND leadership for schools and clusters of schools.
- ESSET (leadership programme) - Essex Special School Education Trust has been commissioned to develop a SEND headteacher programme. Aspiring Leaders training can be found on the ESSET website.
- Maximising the Impact of TAs (MITA) - exploration of best practice in the deployment and use of TAs leading to improved outcomes for pupils.
- Special School Peer Review - this is a project using supporting peer review methodology designed around a school to school support model.