Good records management is essential for efficiency and compliance with information legislation. It protects information from:
- over retention
There is a clear link between information rights and information management. The government has issued the Section 46 Code of Practice
. Failure to follow the code can result in a Practice Recommendation from the ICO.
Things to consider when creating records
- Manage them according to their sensitivity and risk
- Make clear distinction between fact and fiction
- Records must be identifiable
- Records must be easy to find and retrieve
- Records must be secure
- Access to records must be controlled
- Record requests for access
Essex County Council (IGS) can provide you with support. To find out more please visit Information Governance Support
; email IGS@essex.gov.uk
or call 0333 032 2970.