Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Welcome | Login

Frequently Asked Questions

Page last updated: 23/05/2018

How do I change the port number for my firewall or make other connection changes?

You need to raise a service request (SR) to enable your service provider to action the request on your behalf. Details of how to raise an SR are in the connection pack you signed off when your school was migrated and can also be found on the Service Requests Connection Changes page.


Can I use video conferencing or VoIP phones on the network?

Schools connected to the Siemens network have QOS/COS built in and can use VC equipment to communicate with schools on the network. This also applies to VoIP telephony hence all calls to other schools on the Siemens network will be free using VoIP equipment. 


​We are becoming a Primary School. How do I setup a new website and email address?

​First you will need to decide on a new domain for your school. For instance or

You will now need to register this domain with a company called Nominet. They will advise you of when your existing domains will expire.

Be sure to specify that the TAGs are assigned to ESSEXCC

Tel: 01865 332244 (Lines open 8am - 6pm) 


Contact the Schools Broadband Team with the date that the new domain will go live and they will advise you of the process for setting up Office 365 email for your new domain and repointing your website.


Can we have Apple Updates using "Caching" feature?

A number of schools have enabled apple caching for their apple devices which Apple advises will "speed up the download of software distributed by Apple through the Internet"

If you wish to set this up for your school or your Third Party support has suggested using it rather than using the Software Update service then you will need to request a Public IP address is set up for this by emailing the the DUCL Service Desk -

Failure to do so can impede the updates for your school and for those schools who are still using the Software Update service. Incorrect set ups are regularly searched for and may be blocked and the school contacted if its having detrimental effect on other schools.

Apple Support has further information which may be useful here About Caching Service